Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cold and Clammy

June 12, 2011 
Day #31 
Middleboro MA to Salisbury MA  110 miles via I495


Molly is ready to head south....she's 14 and grumpy

Grey, cold and drizzle again.  We are cold, so why not go further North? On the way out we drove past the pool where one little girl was shivering after going into the water.  The other kids were all jumping on the jump pillow.  Poor kids have probably been all excited waiting for vacation..

So after a Dunkin Donuts coffee....okay, and a Boston creme donut we were on our way to colder and wetter weather.  We took I495 which goes around Boston to the west.  Way longer, waaaaaaay easier on the nerves, especially when you're over 50 feet in length!  About the most exciting thing happening during the ride was trying to figure out the flavor of jelly beans that we were popping.  There are some amazing jelly bean flavors out there.  I must have really been bored, I don't even like jelly beans!  Well...I did  like the strawberry cheesecake one.   I am so full of sugar this trip...ugh.

A couple of hours later we arrived at the Beach Rose RV Park.  Not a bad little place, small but quiet with a security gate and a pool (ha, ha) that was very un-used, good WIFI and cable.  We took a ride to look around the area and before we knew it we were in New Hampshire.  We haven't been in Hampton Beach in many years.  Of course it was deserted because of the weather.  And apparently we didn't have enough sugar in our bodies, we got some ice cream.  The block long walk back to the car in the wind and drizzle almost put me into hypothermia, but I overcame it enough to eat my ice cream cone.  By the way, we both agreed that the brand 'Richardson's' Ice Cream' was awesome! 


On the way back I saw a sea food place with fresh 'steamers'.  Actually, there are seafood stores practically on every corner up there.  Where there are not seafood stores, there are clam shacks!  Most of these have signs where they promote - Clams, Chowder and Ice Cream.  Huh?  That seems like a strange combo!


Steamers....now don't that make your mouth water?


I bought a couple of pounds of steamers (soft shelled clams to the non-new englanders) and we made our way back to the RV...with the heat on in the car.  Jim could not believe it when he saw me hit the button for the heated seat.  In the RV the dogs were shivering, Molly, the old lady of the bunch was still wrapped in the blanket that we had put her in before we left.  Southern dogs!



I enjoyed every bite of my steamed clams....dipped in butter.  I am so glad I had blood work done BEFORE we left...my cardiologist thinks I am eating a 'heart healthy' diet.  Hah!

Tomorrow we are going  down the road a bit to Gloucester and Rockport on beautiful Cape Ann

2 comments:

wwluvs2sew said...

Hi Cathy! I'm enjoying your trip right along with you. You need the sugar to stay warm, didn't you know that? We have steamers here on the West Coast too. The weather in New England sounds like Oregon's weather. We are calling it "Juneuary". Thanks for sharing! Karen S (we met once at Dotties reunion in Vancouver)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.